Making DePaul Prep Work: Ms. Bojorges, IB Coordinator

The International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme is a rigorous academic program offered to juniors and seniors at DePaul Prep. Students can take individual IB courses in areas they’re interested in or the full program to be eligible for the diploma. Each of these classes include both internal and external assessments, along with exams at the end of senior year. While this is a lot to juggle for students, it takes just as much effort to organize. IB Coordinator, Heidi Bojorges, is responsible for this task at DePaul Prep. 

Bojorges shows great enthusiasm towards her involvement in the program. “I really love the philosophy of the way they go about learning.” 

International mindedness, the development of global citizens, project based learning, and student choice are all key components that Bojorges feels makes the IB program unique. 

Bojorges’s career before becoming IB coordinator was just as impressive. After earning a degree in teaching from Penn State University, she moved to Chicago from Pittsburgh to participate in a year of service in the North Lawndale community. 

“I thought teaching would be a good way to use my particular skills and gifts to contribute to making our country more just and equitable. So that’s why I did the year of service that brought me to Chicago.”

This service led to a position as an English teacher and eventually English Department Chair at North Lawndale College Prep. “It was wonderful. I loved my colleagues and the students were amazing. But it’s a different environment, so it was challenging and I got a little burnt out. I took a break and worked on a research project at the University of Chicago,” Bojorges explained. 

This research project was called the Thirty Million Words Initiative and studied the effect parents talking to their children in their first three years of life had on later school performance. However, Bojorges missed teaching and had a friend that worked at DePaul College Prep. She made the switch and took a position as assistant dean in 2015.  

“I was teaching one English class, because that’s the opening they had. Slowly I took on the IB thing.” 

However, this simple introduction to IB became a serious involvement when the previous IB coordinator retired and recommended Bojorges as a replacement. 

“I didn’t even have to think twice. I knew it made sense. Promoting that type of learning and working with teachers to make sure they have everything they need to hit this curriculum. It’s just a really good opportunity,” Bojorges said.  

Currently, Bojorges is not just the IB coordinator but the IB Literature teacher and IB Extended Essay coordinator as well. The extended essay is an IB full diploma program assignment where students research a topic of their choice over the course of the two years and produce a paper answering their research question. 

“I really love coaching people through their research process. I know it’s messy, but I love that students get to pick their own question and then go and explore and come to their own conclusions,” Bojorges said. 

However, Bojorges’s favorite part of her position is the interaction with students. “I just love being able to see you all choose something you’re interested in and watch you all grow.” 

IB junior Kate Mueller shows the impact Bojorges’ love for her students has. “Ms. B is so invested in her students that her class becomes a safe place for anyone she’s ever taught,” Mueller said. 

IB junior Ezra Quintero has a similar experience. “I absolutely love Ms. B. She is one of my favorite teachers that I’ve ever had. She makes sure that every single one of her students gets the best education possible, because her heart is entirely in it for us.”

Bojorges’s position allows her to interact with not only students but nearly everyone in the DePaul Prep community. A specific example is the department chairs. “We talk about how you can weave IB skills into every subject starting freshman year,” she said. This allows students to have a strong foundation for academic success when they start in IB during their junior year.

Bojorges also has frequent check-ins with all IB teachers, such as Spanish teacher Alicia Heninger. “I love her passion and dedication for the IB program, and that she’s always willing to help the IB teachers. She does a lot of work on the backend that no one sees, but it’s imperative for students to get good IB scores at DePaul.”

While acknowledging the program’s current success, Bojorges wants it to continue to grow. “I would love to offer more courses, so when students are applying they have more choice in how they build their own schedule.” 

Bojorges also wants to remind students that IB could be for them. “Don’t count yourself out. Don’t think those classes are too hard. Anybody should be able to take one class if it’s something they want to try.”